"What is in this release of Open Enterprise Server
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 Support Pack 1 refreshes the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 distribution with SLES10 SP2, fixes defects found since the release of OES2 and also adds in the following functionality:
- Novell engineered CIFS and AFP protocols
- New version of iFolder (3.7)
- Updated iPrint with an accounting API
- 64-bit version of eDirectory
- Enhanced migration tools and migration GUI
- Improved performance of the XEN hypervisor
- Domain Services for Windows
- NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 8
Note that although Domain Services for Windows is part of OES2 SP1, a separate beta program will be run in order to collate DSfW feedback."
Novell engineered CIFS? I soooo want to know what that is. Is is a completely new CIFS stack, or is it Samba with Novell extensions whacked on? I want to know! The other important bit of information:
The beta test program is currently scheduled to begin mid March and run through October.Which means there won't be product for my 2008 upgrade window. Fie. Well, at least we'll have ample time to prototype and test for the 2009 upgrade window.
Update 9/2008: Novell has posted on their beta site that a public beta is 'coming soon'.
Update 10/2008: The public beta for OES2 SP1 has been posted.